2/15/2015

Citizens of the World



Around noon I went out for a walk in Ipponbageta(One-Tooth Geta) in Osaka Castle Park.

On a warm Sunday afternoon, the park was kind of crowded with tourists.

And I was talked to by a young man around a plum-grove.

“Can I take a photo of you?”

He’s Brindhan from Sydney, just 20 years old.

He said his parents were from Sri Lanka.


I said to him, “Wanna try it on?”


He smiled and nodded. I let him to walk around in Ipponbageta.

I’m sure this is a magical clog which can make people smile.

He seemed satisfied and asked some questions on Ipponbageta.

I answered his questions one by one and talked about my PEACE RUN.

We talked for a while.

As I had nothing special to do in the afternoon. So I followed him as a tour guide.

He said he was interested in Japanese culture and history.

Then I got a phone call from Piapi my wife.

I told about Brindhan and I wanted to introduce him to her.

She said there was a Japanese calligraphy class at 3pm at Temma Mantendo, her office.

So I suggested to him that he experience Japanese calligraphy.

He said he would love to. And I took him to Temma Mantendo, where Mina calligraphy master was getting ready.

Mina wrote Brindhan’s name in three ways(hiragana, katakana and Chinese character or Kanji) in a writing brush.

Brindhan also tried to write his name in katakana for the first time.

He was really glad to experience Japanese calligrahy.


After that we went to 100yen shop DAISO nearby to get a frame for the works.

I bought Takoyaki (Octopus balls) for him. Takoyaki is a snack with octopus in it, and very popular in the Kansai area.

Ipponbageta, Japanese calligraphy and Takoyaki…

He said it was one of the greatest days in his life today.


I’m glad if his holidays in Japan will be the best one and something unforgettable.

I really had a good time with him too, even if he was just one of the passers by.

What I’m doing now is also a part of Grass-roots international exchange. I’m glad if it will work out well and will help create world peace.


That’s why I go out for a walk in Osaka Castle Park in my free time and stroll around for an international exchange.


No matter how our world has changed, I want to keep it in mind  that we are earthling or citizens of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment